Monday 9 September 2013

Grumpy and over scheduled.

Too much to do.  Term 3 is always the same.
I bought Issy a new sports shirt.  Today when she came home it had texta, orange juice, paint, mud, glue and yoghurt on it.  She showed no remorse.

I told the kids when we move downstairs there were going to be new rules about eating, table manners, lunchbox emptying, homework reminders.  They stared at me like deer in headlights.

Josh had today off.  He wasn't really sick.  By lunchtime he thought he probably should have gone to school.  He wasn't allowed to have a long anticipated playdate because if you're not well enough for school, you're not well enough to play.  He wasn't happy.

I am NOT out to be their best friend.  And not even make them happy all the time.  Some of the time sure, but not all of the time.

We do too much.  At least training for soccer, rugby and netball is finished.  Although we now have touch football training, and Josh will soon have cricket practice.   Sarah will soon have choir.  Because heaven forbid that anyone should drop an activity and not immediately fill the gap.

We're all a bit tired and grumpy.  Sorry.

I need to dig deeply into my reserves of patience.  Problem is, my reserves of patience at the moment feel like that moment when you realise the butter tub is empty, with not even enough scrapings for the piece of toast you've just made.

They need more softness from me.  And more attention.  I'm only realising this as I type.  We also need to stop spending every weekend bouncing helplessly from one activity to the next.

Goodness I'm grumpy

Last Sunday Josh left home at 8:30am and didn't return until 5:30pm. Today he begged me for 2 hours at home next weekend, just to 'be'.  This weekend I can fulfil his wish.  Poor little guy.  

I am going to try 'being' right there with him.